Toronto: Web Developer
Application Deadline: February 7, 2019
Start date/term of position: Full Time
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
The Web Developer is responsible for developing and maintaining Evergreen’s web properties and email newsletters, and providing technical expertise and support for the organization. As a member of the Communications team, the Web Developer will maintain Evergreen’s main website (www.evergreen.ca) and its program websites, including www.futurecitiescanada.ca and www.donrivervalleypark.ca. The Developer will analyze, recommend and assist in the implementation of new web resources and applications, and make recommendations for enhancements that support an enhanced user experience.
The Web Developer, under the direction of the Senior Manager, Creative Services and Promotions, will work within a team environment to develop and implement updates, customize online tools such as databases, surveys, message boards and forms, and design, test and modify programming code to ensure compliance with best practices.
- Maintain, develop and create Evergreen’s web platforms, including evergreen.ca
- Develop new pages, templates and features for Evergreen's web sites
- Ensure AODA/WCAG compliance with web designs and code ensuring a good user experience across all devices
- Maintain Evergreen's newsletter service provider account (Mailchimp), including list management and development of custom email templates
- Provide reporting and analysis of web analytics
- Maintain documentation of procedures, change requests, etc.
- Present formal results, insights, and recommendations to the Communications team
- Track, analyze and understand visitor behaviour on our websites
- Ability to think about the entire journey from driving people to the site, engaging them, and encouraging them to return
- Provide realistic assessments of time and resources required for project planning
- Protect and maintain data integrity
- Maintain ongoing testing to optimize campaigns; measure success and communicate learnings to relevant stakeholders and iterate and augment campaigns based on new learnings
- Provide technical expertise, recommendations and guidance for web projects developed by external contractors
- Support Evergreen staff in publishing content on Evergreen's websites
- Liaise with Evergreen’s IT department, as required
Models Evergreen’s Core Values: Collaboration, Innovation, Accountability, Systems Approach
- Attention to detail: Do not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Calm under pressure: Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication: Able to communicate effectively and accurately technical concepts to persons with limited technical backgrounds
- Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond effectively to the needs of internal and external stakeholders
- Creative: Bring new ideas and non-traditional approaches to delivering projects and solving problems
- Flexibility/adaptability: Versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities, timelines and complexities
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence: Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited about work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Multitasker: Ability to manage several tasks/projects simultaneously
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to learn continually on-the-job; keep abreast of rapid changes in systems, coding best-practices, and user requirements in highly dynamic environmen
3-5 years relevant professional experience:
- Developing and maintaining CMS-driven websites (experience with Expression Engine or willingness to learn)
- Managing task runners such as Grunt/Gulp
- Developing HTML emails
- Analyzing web metrics with Google Analytics, HotJar, and other software
- Working with multi-server, enterprise-level web infrastructures
- Working with legacy code
- Upgrading websites gradually using progressive enhancement principles
- Browser testing and debugging of HTML, CSS and JS code
- Web accessibility best practices and assistive technologies: AODA/WCAG, ARIA, JAWS/NVDA/VoiceOver
- Responsive design principles; able to design and adapt web pages to work on all screen sizes
- Front-end development
- Photoshop and Illustrator required
- Proficiency with version control software such as Git
- Proficiency in implementing and managing (MySQL)
- Proficiency in web design trends and practices an asset
- Supervised by Senior Manager, Creative Services and Promotions
- Working hours 40 hours per week
- Occasional evening/weekend hours required
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Web Developer” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.