Toronto: Visitor Services Assistant
Application Deadline: May 22, 2019
Start date/term of position: Part Time Contract
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
We highly encourage applicants to be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Summer Work Experience Program in order to provide students with valuable experience in the green jobs sector.
The Visitor Services Department provides exceptional customer service and general support to all Evergreen Brick Works visitors. Assistants will be responsible for greeting, interfacing and expediting a positive visitor experience at designated customer touch-points during public hours. Assistants will be tasked with collecting visitor interviews throughout the day. They uphold the standards of safety, courtesy, cleanliness and efficiency.
As a Visitor Services Assistant you will serve as an ambassador to the visitors who arrive at Brick Works and help advance Evergreen as an internationally recognized community hub and demonstration centre for urban innovation, green infrastructure, low carbon cities, and thriving ecosystems. Additionally, you will help Evergreen understand who visits the campus and why, and how we can provide them with the highest level of satisfaction, learning, and overall experience. The ability to initiate interaction with visitors is essential.
- Conduct day-to-day visitor greeting and assistance
- Understand what type of visitor data proves to be useful for Evergreen in order to promote the Brick Works as a public space where people can engage with each other and with nature (this requires close collaboration with the development, marketing and communication teams at Evergreen)
- Conduct multiple short interview interventions with a variety of visitors on campus
- Meet and direct visitors to restrooms, pavilions, and programs through the Brick Works campus
- Track visitor attendance
- Provide assistance to visitors who may need information on procedures, parking, special needs, daily events and activities etc.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Exceptional customer service and a positive attitude at all times
- Ability to interact with a diverse set of individuals
- Ability to learn the history and environmental value of Evergreen quickly and communicate to visitors
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working outdoors
- Interacting with the general public
- Standing for extended periods of time
Terms of contract: Part time contract (2 positions)
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Visitor Services Assistant” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.