Toronto: Summer Student, Program Animator
Application Deadline: June 12, 2019
Start date/term of position: Part-time Contract, Hourly
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
Successful candidates must be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time post-secondary students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Youth Work Experience Program.
The Program Animator is responsible for delivering educational, inspiring and nature based programs and activities for children, families and adults. The successful candidate will work with a team of Program Animators to support content development for outdoor play, markets, urban agriculture and/or other diverse programming. Audiences will include people of all ages and their families, as well as schools, camps or visiting community groups.
- Deliver engaging public, outdoor, nature-based activities and programming across diverse areas of Evergreen’s programming
- Work with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities;
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and participants and act as an ambassador for Evergreen;
- Support staff debriefs and program evaluation; and
- Provide support in developing program content.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- 1-2 years proven track record engaging diverse members of the public, particularly children and youth, in outdoor educational and recreational activities; and
- Current standard first aid & CPR training, or willingness to obtain.
In addition, the following skills and experience will be considered strong assets:
- Experience with outdoor education, playwork or similar;
- Experience in the creative arts such as storytelling, drama, music and the visual arts;
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Urban Agriculture, Teaching, Arts or similar field;
- Knowledge of gardening, stewardship and local ecology;
- Demonstrate safe use of simple hand tools and the ability to craft with natural materials including wood and clay, or willingness to learn; and
- Bilingual (English and French/another language).
- Outdoors at Evergreen Brick Works with occasional opportunities for activations in local parks across Southern Ontario;
- Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions;
- Available to work a flexible schedule with a focus on weekends and weekday evenings, as well as occasional opportunities on weekdays;
- Working with vulnerable populations; and
- Shifts of 4-8 hours, part-time.
- Standing for extended periods of time; and
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis.
- Supervised by: Program Manager/Program Lead
- Supervises: Volunteers and Interns
Terms of contract: Part-time, contract, hourly
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Summer Student, Program Animator” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.