Toronto: Senior Manager, Events (Parental Leave Contract)
Application Deadline: March 31, 2020
Start date/term of position: 12 months, full time
Evergreen is currently seeking a creative and detail-oriented leader to fulfill its Senior Manager, Events role, for a one-year parental leave replacement contract. A team-player who prioritizes collaboration and customer service, the Senior Manager, Events plays a critical role in the day-to-day delivery of the 300+ events that happen at Evergreen Brickworks each year, and contributes to the strategy and planning for this critical piece of Evergreen’s social enterprise.
About the Role:
The Senior Manager, Events, leads a team of event professionals to ensure the seamless planning and execution of the wide variety of events that happen at Evergreen Brickworks, ranging from large weddings to intimate family celebrations and major corporate conferences.
- Execute on Evergreen’s marketing and business strategy for events
- Collaborate with the Hospitality & Events team to define, implement, measure and improve the end-to-end service standards of the department as they apply to clients, internal partners and suppliers
- Work creatively with clients to help ensure desired outcomes for their event are achieved
- Provide leadership and training to others on Evergreen’s hospitality vision, including protocols, guidelines and event procedures
- Undertake the planning, execution and customer care required for multiple Evergreen and third-party events
- Assist in preparing the annual budget and forecast for the events team
- Responsible for the achievement of annual event revenue and profit targets by ensuring that strategic financial decisions are made on event negotiations and agreements
- Ensure accurate financial monitoring, controlling and reporting and event management policies and procedures by working with Evergreen’s finance team
- Build and maintain relationships with existing and prospective clients and event suppliers
- Liaise with operational departments and external partners and suppliers to ensure events are delivered and executed according to Evergreen’s standards
- Ensure that events are executed in a safe, orderly and disciplined manner in accordance with Evergreen’s policies and Health & Safety standards
- Promote and build internal commitment to an exceptional workplace culture and organizational values
- Mentor others and take an active role in their professional development
You excel in the following areas:
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve
- Planning/Organization/Project Management: create and implement action plans and budgets; document, evaluate and learn
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills: Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and effective
- People management: Recognize people’s strengths & accomplishments and provide guidance while promoting independence and innovation.
- Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs, meeting and exceeding expectation
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Attention to detail. Do not let important details slip through the cracks
You have these additional qualifications:
- A post-secondary diploma or certificate in hospitality or event planning management
- 7+ years of experience in managing high-end events, including catering management
- Experience with team management and leadership
- Demonstrated ability to positively manage client and vendor relationships
- Experience with managing an operating budget
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Ability to understand how business processes function
- Smart Serve certification
- First-aid/CPR and/or Food Handler certification is an asset
- Supervised by: Director, Hospitality and Events
- Supervises: Event Managers and Coordinators, Casual event staff
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Office environment with on the ground presence as required
- Some lifting and long periods of standing may be required
- Regular office hours (flexible), with evenings and weekends required
- 12 months, full-time
How to Apply:
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Senior Manager, Events (Parental Leave Contract)” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.