Toronto: Program Manager, Future Cities Canada
Application Deadline: February 8, 2019
Start date/term of position: Full- Time, 12 month contract
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
The Program Manager has a record of success in innovative program design, development, implementation and management. With a knack for distilling complex concepts into elegant solutions, the Program Manager will play a central role in the efficient management, growth and evaluation of the Future Cities Canada program, with a focus on supporting the Smart Cities Community Support Program. The Program Manager has the confidence to collaborate effectively with senior leaders, program delivery colleagues, and external stakeholders alike to advance Evergreen’s mission to make cities flourish.
- Responsible for program development and iteration in response to Evergreen’s defined strategic priorities and emergent business development opportunities emerging in the municipal innovation and smart cities space
- Manage multiple project objectives associated with an array of city building projects and programs, ensuring alignment with Evergreen’s mission and strategic direction
- Manage program budgets, work plans and key relationships: coordinate activities around identified milestones, and ensure activities are undertaken ‘on time and on budget’, with proper evaluation and wrap up
- Lead program evaluation process for Future Cities Canada
- Support research and content development for Future Cities Canada products
- Collaborate with Evergreen’s Marketing and Communications team to support the planning and execution of programs and associated communication deliverables.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, and learn
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- People management. Clarify performance expectations, provides professional/performance development support, recognizes people’s strengths & accomplishments, provides guidance while allowing independence, provides constructive and timely feedback, informal and formal (e.g., annual performance appraisal), communicates relevant information (e.g., management decisions, etc.), open to feedback
- Evidence-Based Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Create plans that are informed by research, data, and experience. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Director, Programs
- Supervises: Program staff, including Project Managers and Coordinators.
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in a field such as management, urban planning, political science, etc.
- 3-5 years’ experience in program design, development and delivery, preferably in the non-profit or public sector
- Subject-area knowledge in urban innovation and city building
- Familiarity with design thinking models and approaches (an asset)
- Strong understanding of inclusion, equity and social justice issues and trends, especially in an urban context (an asset)
- Excellent communication, networking, and partnership-development skills
- Strong track-record in resource and fiscal management
- Primarily office work
- Working hours (40 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend work)
- Occasional travel
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Program Manager, FCC” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.