Toronto: Program Director
Application Deadline: February 28, 2020
Start date/term of position: Permanent, full-time
Evergreen is currently looking to expand our leadership team by adding a dynamic and collaborative innovator to our group of Program Directors. Our Program Directors work together with Evergreen’s Executive team to set strategic direction and priorities. With a focus on program excellence and the achievement of maximum mission impact, our Program Directors work with others to implement innovative community and social enterprise programming that contributes to Evergreen’s vision for flourishing cities.
With oversight over multiple projects across our vast array of programming and teams, this role requires an adaptable, multi-talented leader who models our core values and prioritizes good communication and positive workplace culture.
About the Role:
The Program Director plays a central leadership role within the organization, positioned at the nexus of strategy and program implementation. A role model for cross-departmental collaboration, with a focus on place-based participation, creative policy solutions and community engagement, the Program Director leads the organization in adapting new ideas and proposals.
The Program Director is able to assess needs and gaps, and works with others to develop and implement innovative community and social enterprise programming that contributes to Evergreen’s vision for flourishing cities. The Program Director represents Evergreen externally, develops new partnerships while strengthening existing ones, and builds Evergreen’s understanding of community needs. As a key member of the leadership team, the Program Director helps drive positive workplace culture and employee engagement, and provides mentorship and growth opportunities for others.
• Oversee multiple programs, ensuring consistent strong alignment with Evergreen’s values, goals and objectives
• Oversee the development, promotion and execution of program activities with appreciation for diversity, equity and inclusion
• Direct multiple project-focused teams, guiding strategy, overseeing and coaching on the creative process, and ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
• Plan for the allocation of resources, both financial and human, in achieving programming objectives within a broader organizational budget
• Guide Program teams to manage daily operations and long term-planning, including program budgets, work plans, key relationships and contractual agreements
• Continuously review performance data in order to measure progress towards goals and assess program impact, identifying areas requiring improvement
• Be adaptable to an ever changing program mix, adjusting program oversight based on organizational need
• Work with Evergreen’s Marketing and Communications department to prepare communication plans and materials, providing key input on content development to ensure and ensuring Evergreen’s work and impact if effectively conveyed
• Work with Evergreen’s Development team to support fundraising from philanthropy and corporate partners, including supporting content development, reporting and donor engagement
• Apply expertise and knowledge to shape program design, working collaboratively with Development to secure government and foundation funders, including funder identification, proposal development and reporting
• Work with other departments to develop potential revenue streams and business models for new programming activities
• Play a lead role in the development of Evergreen processes, and ensure adoption of these practices by Evergreen staff
• Help identify growth opportunities and develop leadership skills in others
• Constantly work to enhance Evergreen’s workplace culture, and heighten employee engagement
• Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
• Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve
• Program Design/Learning: Comfortable working through systematic problem solving, experimentation and learning from experience
• Agile Management: Comfortable in an unpredictable environment, able to effectively manage through iterative program design and delivery
• Planning/Organization/Project Management: create and implement action plans and budgets; document, evaluate and learn
• Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills: Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and effective
• People management: Recognize people’s strengths & accomplishments and provide guidance while promoting independence and innovation.
• Customer-focus: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs, meeting and exceeding expectation
You have the following qualifications:
• 10+ years in program design, development and delivery
• Prior experience in facilitation, partnership development, and working with diverse communities and stakeholders
• Demonstrated track record of successful program design and related project management, including creating and monitoring work plans and budgets
• Post-secondary diploma/degree in a related field such as management, urban planning, political science
• A record of strong leadership, negotiation, and management competencies
• Project- based work experience, for example in consulting, design firms, studios and other client- focused settings (an asset)
• Expertise in agile management and design thinking (an asset)
• Certification and/or substantive expertise in project management (an asset)
• Supervised by Chief Program Officer
• Supervises Program staff, including a number of Program Managers
• Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
• Office environment with on the ground presence as required
• Regular office hours (flexible), with some onsite and offsite evenings and/or weekends required
• Permanent, full-time
How to Apply
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Program Director” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.