Toronto: Outdoor Educator
Application Deadline: Janunry 20, 2020
Start date/term of position: Part Time
Overview: The Outdoor Educator will deliver educational programming activities for School Groups, children and families at Evergreen Brick Works. The Outdoor Educator will be expected to deliver programming that is place based, hands-on, ecological, arts infused and active, while integrating expectations from across the curriculum. An Outdoor Educator should have a passion for teaching, and hold knowledge of local ecology, geology, and history as well as a willingness to learn.
- Deliver engaging public and private educational programs, primarily outdoor nature-based activities for children within the Visiting Schools & other educational Programs;
- Liaise with teachers to meet classroom expectations during school visits
- Provide detailed feedback and evaluation of programs
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and clients and act as an ambassador for Evergreen Brick Works;
- Communicate a summary of program statistics and experience to supervisor;
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Supervised by: Program Manager, Outdoor Education
- 1-3 years education or experience in children’s environmental education and recreational programming, community engagement, youth engagement, and/or community programming
- Experience working with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities
- Experience delivering educational programs in the outdoors
- Current standard first aid & CPR training
- Complete a successful vulnerable sector police reference check
- Experience with Nature Connection Routines and Outdoor Experiential Education
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences/Studies, Arts or similar
- Knowledge of Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices
- Able to endure rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions
- Working primarily outdoors with a variety of people, including children
- Participate in flood preparation, evacuation and clean-up activities when necessary
- Available Monday to Sunday on a part-time basis
- Shifts of 4-8 hours
- Physical requirements:
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Outdoor Educator” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.