Overview: The Nature Play Animator is responsible for delivering educational, inspiring and nature based play programs and activities for children and families in Gzowski and Kingsdale Parks in Kitchener, ON. The successful candidate will work with a team of Play Animators to support content development for the outdoor play programming. Audiences will include families, visiting schools, visiting camps and other community groups.
- Deliver engaging public outdoor, nature-based activities for children, families and school groups;
- Work with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities;
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and participants and act as an ambassador for Evergreen;
- Demonstrate safe use of simple hand tools and the ability to craft with natural materials including wood and clay, or willingness to learn;
- Support staff debriefs and program evaluation; and
- Support in developing program content.
Models Evergreen’s Core Values
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Nature Play Program Lead
- Supervises: Volunteers and Interns
- 1-2 years proven track record engaging diverse members of the public, particularly children and youth, in outdoor educational and recreational activities.
- Current standard first aid & CPR training, or willingness to obtain
- Offer of employment may be conditional on an acceptable criminal background check
- Experience with outdoor education
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Teaching, Arts or similar field.
- Knowledge of stewardship and ecological restoration practices
- Outdoors in two local parks
- Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions
- Available to work a flexible schedule including shifts on weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends
- Working with vulnerable populations
- Shifts of 4-6 hours, part-time, throughout the week, year round
- Average of 5-10 hours per week, with the possibility of more.
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
Terms of contract: Part time hourly for 12 months with the possibility of renewal. Starting date is September 20th, 2017.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Nature Play Animator” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.