Toronto: Nature Play Animator
Application Deadline: May 29, 2019
Start date/term of position: Part Time Contract
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
We highly encourage applicants to be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Summer Work Experience Program in order to provide students with valuable experience in the green jobs sector.
The Nature Play Animator is responsible for delivering educational, inspiring and nature based play programs and activities for children and families at the Evergreen Brickworks in Toronto, ON. The successful candidate will work with a team of Nature Play Animators to support content development for outdoor play programming. Audiences will include children of all ages and their families, as well as occasional school, camp or visiting community groups.
- Deliver engaging public outdoor, nature-based activities for children and families;
- Work with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities;
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and participants and act as an ambassador for Evergreen;
- Demonstrate safe use of simple hand tools and the ability to craft with natural materials including wood and clay, or willingness to learn;
- Support staff debriefs and program evaluation; and
- Support in developing program content.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Manager, Outdoor Play Programs
- Supervises: Volunteers and Interns
- 1-2 years proven track record engaging diverse members of the public, particularly children and youth, in outdoor educational and recreational activities.
- Current standard first aid & CPR training, or willingness to obtain
- Experience with outdoor education, playwork or similar
- Experience in the creative arts such as storytelling, drama, music and the visual arts
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences, Teaching, Arts or similar field.
- Knowledge of gardening, stewardship and local ecology
- Outdoors at the Evergreen Brickworks with occasional opportunities for activations in local parks
- Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions
- Available to work a flexible schedule with a focus on weekend and week day evenings as well as occasional opportunities on weekdays
- Working with vulnerable populations
- Shifts of 4-8 hours, part-time
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Nature Play Animator” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.