Application Deadline: Check back for next recruitment drive!
Start date/term of position: We are asking volunteers to commit for 6 months to a year and lead around 1 walk a month.
Help urbanites explore Toronto’s ecological and cultural history and promote healthy ways to connect with nature in the city! Nature & Heritage Walks are held regularly at various starting locations, with all walks ending at the Evergreen Brick Works. Themes can include winter wildlife, architecture, ecology and lost rivers, with routes are of various lengths.
Nature & Heritage Walk volunteers will lead the walks, sharing their own knowledge of the city and ecology with the group and ensuring everyone arrives to the destination safely. Volunteer leaders will co-develop walk routes and themes alongside with staff.
What you bring: To be successful at and enjoy this opportunity, you:
- Have experience walking or hiking trails, e.g must be able to cover at least 5-8kim with a 10lb backpack in all weather conditions
- Are enthusiastic, friendly and comfortable engaging a group of people
- Have past leadership experience
- Have knowledge or curiosity in local ecology, geography, people or historic event.
- Have active cell phone with text ability for emergencies. *If you don’t but wish to apply please let us know.
It is an asset if you:
- Have experience in leading or assisting with tours, hikes or walks with groups.
- Have current CPR-C and First Aid certification
- Have multilingual skills.
When & where: Nature & Heritage Walks program occurs every Saturday at 10am, running year long. Volunteer shifts are from 9:30am-12:30pm, but can vary dependant on location. All of these routes will begin at various parts of the city, and then end at the Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Ave).
Commitment: We are asking volunteers to commit for 6 months to a year and lead around 1 walk a month.
How we’ll support you: Volunteers will participate in an orientation to Evergreen on April 9th, and a mandatory training session on hike leader training on April 16th and 17th.
Perks: Enjoy a fresh-aired opportunity to learn and connect with the Don Valley and its surrounding neighbourhood’s on-foot. Experience ways of reconnecting yourself and others with nature, the outdoors, and active living. Develop your outdoor, nature and heritage interpretation skills. Volunteers who give 20hrs+ will receive an Evergreen t-shirt to wear with pride.
Good to know: Successful candidates are required to have a Police Records Check. Walks happen rain or shine, so please dress appropriately in layers, and wear proper walking/hiking boots. Some independent transportation is required to and from some of the starting and ending points, please let us know if you need TTC accommodation.
If this sounds like you: Create an online profile and sign up for the 'Add me to the walk volunteer waiting list!'. Please make sure you:
- Include a current resume.
- State why you are interested in this position or letter of interest.