Toronto: General Manager
Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
Start date/term of position: Full Time
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
Evergreen is currently looking for a collaborative and creative leader, with meticulous attention to detail, to act as the General Manager for Evergreen Brick Works. The General Manager will oversee the smooth operations of the Evergreen Brick Works facility, setting and maintaining best in class standards of excellence. The General Manager will be responsible for facility management, health and safety, risk management, sustainable operating practices, tenant and parking management and retail operations. The General Manager will have a strong customer service focus, ensuring the site operations meet the needs of all internal (programing, hospitality and events) and external users.
- Establish and maintain standards of excellence for the Evergreen Brick Works site, consistent with those of a world class facility.
- Oversee the facility management function at Evergreen, including building operations, repairs and maintenance, vendor contracts and site security.
- Oversee retail operations on site, including implementing identified opportunities for revenue growth, overseeing product selection and procurement and managing margins.
- Oversee parking lot and tenant management, including relationship management.
- Oversee health and safety at the Evergreen Brick Works site, including participation in a leadership capacity on Evergreen’s Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Evaluate and enhance current risk management protocols for the site, including evacuation, emergency response, and flood management, including participation on Evergreen’s flood response team.
- Ensure Evergreen Brick Works is at the forefront of and reflects innovations in sustainable operations, including identifying areas for improvement, setting and monitoring targets and working with the communications department to tell Evergreen’s sustainability story.
- Lead all construction projects on site, including identified site enhancements from the soon to be completed Master Plan (2020), with budgets of $10+ million.
- Working closely with the Director of Hospitality and Events, provide excellent customer service in coordinating site activities across departments, ensuring a seamless experience for external (visitors, third party event customers) and internal (programing, third party events) users.
- Responsible for setting the annual department budget and managing spend within the approved budget allocation, including identifying opportunities for cost savings and operating efficiencies.
- Provide effective leadership and management of a team with a focus on staff development and organization culture.
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray Evergreen in a positive manner.
- Exercise sounds judgement in managing and prioritizing the various demands of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve.
- Strategic thinking/vision. Assess opportunities and threats, options and actions based on comprehensive analysis of current and future trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of EG. See and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way.
- People management. Clarify performance expectations, provides, professional/performance development support, recognizes people’s strengths & accomplishments, provides guidance while allowing independence, provides constructive and timely feedback, informal and formal (e.g., annual performance appraisal), communicates relevant information (e.g., management decisions, etc.), open to feedback
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of EG. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Supervised by: Chief Financial Officer
- Supervises: Facility Manager, Senior Manager, Energy and Sustainability, Retail Manager
- University degree or diploma in a relevant field
- 5-10 years of progressive management experience
- Experience with facilities management. building operations and retail management
- Appreciation for placemaking and experience working in a community gathering place will be considered an asset
- Familiarity and expertise with heritage buildings will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of municipal policy, with expertise working with entities like TRCA, City of Toronto Parks & Recreation will be considered an asset
- 40 hours per week; some evening and weekend work as required
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference "General Manager” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.