Application Deadline: March 31, 2020
Start date/term of position: Seasonal contract (May – November), 32 - 40 hours per week
Evergreen is currently seeking a nature enthusiast, with a green thumb, to join its Facilities team as Gardener. This is a full-time, seasonal position (April/May-November) that plays a critical role in ensuring the beauty and nature of the Valley is on full display at Evergreen Brick Works.
About the Role:
The Gardener helps ensure Evergreen Brick Works remains a beautiful, ecologically rich and engaging site by performing maintenance of pre-existing native plantings and garden beds as well as surrounding naturalized areas.
- Follow daily, weekly and seasonal garden maintenance plans and schedules
- Weed and remove all invasive plants and maintain integrity of themed beds
- Water all gardens, planters and pots as necessary or dictated by watering schedules
- Monitor, manage and remove detrimental pests, and dead or diseased plants
- Install and track new garden plantings
- Processes compost, assist with compost turning and support soil building efforts on site
- Remove and dispose of litter from all gardens and naturalized areas
- Clean and maintain hardscape surfaces as necessary
- Daily reset of outdoors furniture set ups
- Maintain gardening tools, including gas and electric powered tools, to ensure proper functioning
- Ensure tool inventory is up-to-date and all items are accounted for at the end of each day, week and season
- Communicate tool and plant material needs to Manager in a timely and accurate way
- Assist with the facilitation of volunteer and corporate gardening and stewardship programming
- Participate in flood preparation efforts
- Be a positive and proactive contributor to workplace safety
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work with a can-do attitude.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques depending on the audience.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing circumstances, priorities and conditions, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
You have the following qualifications:
- 1 -3 years of gardening experience
- Knowledge of natural pest control an asset
- Landscape design, horticulture, restoration ecology design, or similar education an asset
- Certified Landscape Technician or similar certification an asset
- Familiarity with Ontario native plants & food plants an asset
- Supervised by Facilities Manager
- Outdoor work, often in inclement weather
- Will be required to stand for extended periods, lift heavy objects and undertake repetitive tasks on a regular basis
- Working at heights on occasion may be required
- CSA approved Safety Shoes/Boots are required
- Seasonal contract (May – November)
- 32-40 hours weekly
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Gardener” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.