Toronto: Finance Manager
Application Deadline: Friday, July 31st, 2020
Start date/term of position: Full Time, Permanent
Evergreen is currently seeking to add an innovative, adaptable and collaborative Manager to its Finance team. The ideal candidate will be driven by numbers, but will have the ability to look behind the figures to help make sound strategic choices for the organization. If you are a proven leader, with experience managing day to day finance operations and accounting processes, and an interest in contributing to the non-profit sector, then this may be the right role for you.
About the Role:
The Finance Manager will use strong accounting knowledge, sound judgement and problem solving skills to provide oversight of the accounting function at Evergreen. The Finance Manager will be primarily responsible for recording and reviewing accounting transactions, including bank reconciliations and financial reporting, as well as assisting with payroll review, enabling effective and timely monthly and quarterly close procedures. The Finance Manager will apply strong business acumen in reviewing contracts, overseeing insurance and managing the finance team budget.
- Supervise and provide support to weekly transactional accounting entries to ensure routine procedures contribute to the effective delivery of monthly accounting cycles
- Review and control accounts payable invoices on a weekly basis to ensure proper controls are documented and compliance to Evergreen’s expense policy
- Synchronize and assist accounting staff with monthly and quarterly close procedures including revenue and expense accruals, amortization, allocations, ad-hoc entries, budget updates, financial reporting, HST filings and balance sheet account reconciliations
- Process routine electronic banking transactions and review monthly bank reconciliations to ensure accurate and timely completion
- Prepare and maintain the monthly cash flow forecast, including ongoing refinement to enhance the predictability of Evergreen’s cash flow position
- Assist in the review of semi-monthly payrolls to ensure accuracy, monthly payroll entry and the human resource forecast for changes and updates received from department leads
- Support Evergreen’s financial objectives by playing a critical role in the annual operational and capital budgeting processes, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions throughout the fiscal year
- Co-lead the annual audit process, acting as the primary liaison with field auditors
- Support inventory management, including the review of inventory adjustments, maintaining the inventory sub-ledger, and provide analytical support to the retail team
- Lead the preparation of funder reporting as required, ensure reports address requirements set out in funder contracts and source information is appropriately documented
- Maintain the financial architecture and integrity of the Chart of Accounts, implementing change management for all downstream processes ensuring effective project accounting and reporting
- Ensure the accounting system is configured for effective controls and provide support in troubleshooting, recommend and implement updates to financial policies and procedures manual, as necessary
- Manage the organization’s insurance policies, including the annual renewal process
- Oversee the creation and review of contracts, managing Evergreen’s risk exposure, including oversight of tenancy agreements to ensure compliance with Evergreen’s head lease
- Demonstrate an intuitive grasp of organizational structure and work effectively across departments
- Undertake people management responsibilities in a thoughtful and professional manner
- Promote and build internal commitment to an exceptional workplace culture and organizational values
- Mentor others and take an active role in their professional development
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions, which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Director of Finance
- Supervises: Financial Coordinator
- Six years of progressive work experience in budget, finance and accounting capacity, direct experience with non-profit organizations preferred
- Undergraduate degree in business/commerce
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) required
- Experience with SAGE 300 system an asset
- General office environment
Terms of contract:
- Full Time Permanent
How To Apply:
Click here to apply online.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.