Toronto: Evergreen Ambassador
Application Deadline: May 29, 2019
Start date/term of position: Part Time Contract
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
We highly encourage applicants to be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Summer Work Experience Program in order to provide students with valuable experience in the green jobs sector.
The Evergreen Brick Works Ambassador is responsible for being a first point of contact for site visitors at Evergreen’s Farmer’s Market, Sunday Market, Summer Wednesdays and special events at the Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto, ON. This role will support staff at events, provide a positive, informative visitor experience, and be an ambassador for Evergreen.
The successful candidate(s) will liaise between our visitors, and our Programming, Communications and Development team to ensure that visitors deepen their understanding of the mission and the diverse programming available at Evergreen. They will be on-hand to answer questions and provide information about Evergreen, as well as encourage our visitors to become more active in the Evergreen community.
- Thoroughly comprehend our programs areas and site activities to inform visitors;
- Build awareness our mission and objectives as a national not-for-profit;
- Deliver engaging public outdoor educational activations for children and families;
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and participants and act as an ambassador for Evergreen;
- Encourage subscription to Evergreen’s newsletter and/or participation in fundraising campaigns;
- Establishing and maintaining more dynamic relationships with visitors;
- Work with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities;
- Track visitors’ program interests, and update and maintain visitor data; and
- Support staff debriefs and program evaluation
- Communication. Actively listen and speak in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- 1-2 years proven track record engaging diverse members of the public
- Experience with Raisers’ Edge
- Background in Public Outreach, Communications, Marketing or Fundraising
- Knowledge of Evergreen and city building programming
- Outdoors at the Evergreen Brickworks with occasional opportunities for activations in local parks
- Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions
- Available to work a flexible schedule with a focus on weekend and week day evenings as well as occasional opportunities on weekdays
- Working with vulnerable populations
- Shifts of 4-8 hours, part-time
- Standing for extended periods of time
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Evergreen Ambassador” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.