Toronto: Camp Specialist, Mountain Biking
Application Deadline: March 13, 2020
Start date/term of position: Contract, Full-time mid-June to September 4, 2020
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking. This group of individuals are the Mountain Biking specialists that hold Evergreen’s Bike Ventures program together, ensuring a safe, challenging, supportive environment for participants.
Their talents and interests are honed to the realities of the trail and shop; each relied on for their focused skills and experience creating inclusive spaces for skills development and active transportation.
Our Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking contribute to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp and support a culture of active play and healthy risk taking among Bike Ventures campers
About the Role:
Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking, are responsible for delivering Bike Ventures Camp programs focused on connecting youth, ages 8-12, to the outdoors and exploring the Don Valley Ravine Trail Network by mountain bike. They lead mountain biking skills sessions, trail rides, mechanical workshops, and nature play ensuring that each camper grows in confidence on-road, on-trail and in-shop in support of our OCA accredited Bike Ventures Camp that serves approximately 20 campers per week.
Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking play a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their experience leading trail rides and maintaining bicycles to help our programs come alive. Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking are responsible for the care and safety of a group of up to 10 campers per week.
Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking thrive in a challenging physical environment and provide consistent, creative support to campers and the broader camp team; they are mature team-players and risk managers who believe in the power and importance of active exploration in the valley.
- Creatively guide a group of 10 campers, ages 8-12, with a focus on leading trail rides and skills clinics, facilitating outdoor experiential play, and leading group games
- Ensure proper safety and communication via two way radio, especially when off-site;
- Facilitate daily program area safety checks, including trail conditions;
- Maintain a high degree of risk management and vigilance at all times and demonstrate confidence in dealing with offsite accidents and injuries
- Assume duties as a Camp Counsellor as required
- Communicate safety and health regulations to program participants and ensure they understand them;
- Help monitor and engage campers during lunch, snack and extended care programs
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to new staff and volunteers (Assistant Camp Counsellors)
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor;
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way;
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians
- Participate in pre-camp training in June, including reading the Staff Handbook;
- Act as a positive role model and leader;
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques depending on the audience.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing circumstances, priorities and conditions, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
You have the following qualifications:
- Mountain biking skills including navigating multiuse trails, single track, obstacle navigation and trailside repairs an asset
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a camp or childcare setting
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional experience)
- Basic bike mechanics expertise
- Can-Bike certification an asset
- Experience teaching children to cycle or build cycling skills an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check or willingness to obtain
- Experience with Nature Connection Core Routines or Outdoor Experiential Education an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- OCT certified teachers, teacher candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Wilderness First Aid or experience leading backcountry trips an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Supervised by Camp Director
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Cycling for up to 7 hours per day
- Contract, Full-time mid-June to September 4, 2020
Range $15.55 - $18.95
How to Apply:
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Camp Specialist, Mountain Biking” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.