Toronto: Camp Specialist, Inclusion Program
Application Deadline: March 23, 2020
Start date/term of position: Contract, Full-time mid-June to September 4, 2020
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program. This group of individuals are the inclusion content experts that weave the spirit of belonging into all aspects of Evergreen’s Adventure Camp program, ensuring an inclusive, welcoming and experiential environment for all participants.
Our Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program contribute to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp and support a culture of inclusion and nature connection among campers and the camp community
About the Role:
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program are responsible for specialty functions that range from program development and delivery for campers with special needs to providing integration support and training counsellors in designing inclusive program activations, all in support of our OCA accredited Evergreen Adventure Camp program that serves approximately 160 campers per week.
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program play a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their experience working with children with special needs and/or at risk youth to help our programs come alive. Camp Specialists, Inclusion are responsible for creating a safe and supportive environment for campers with special needs. They are responsible for participant safety, integration and experience in all programming.
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program thrive in a challenging one-on-one setting and provide compassionate, consistent, creative support to campers with special needs and the broader camp team; they are self-motivated, mature team-players with strong crisis intervention, behavioural management and de-escalation toolkits.
- Responsible for the care, supervision and integration of campers with special needs, ensuring their inclusion in all possible programs or providing one-on-one activities when appropriate
- Facilitate interactions with other campers, when necessary
- Work in cooperation with other Counsellors to ensure a positive camp experience for all campers
- Maintain all information regarding camper confidentiality
- Work with Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director to plan camper experience
- Maintain communication with camper’s family prior to camp session and during camp session
- Assume duties as a Camp Counsellor as required
- Communicate safety and health regulations to program participants and ensure they understand them;
- Help monitor and engage campers during lunch, snack and extended care programs
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to new staff and volunteers (Assistant Camp Counsellors)
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor;
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way;
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians
- Participate in pre-camp training in June, including reading the Staff Handbook;
- Act as a positive role model and leader;
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in the development and implementation of programs
- Communication. Communicate in a confident, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques depending on the audience.
- Attention to detail. Will not let important details slip through the cracks
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjust quickly to changing circumstances, priorities and conditions, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years’ experience working with children with special needs;
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a camp setting;
- Background in Child and Youth Work, Counseling/Therapy, Social Work, or similar an asset
- Crisis intervention, behavioural management and de-escalation training an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check or willingness to obtain
- Experience with Nature Connection Core Routines or Outdoor Experiential Education an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- OCT certified teachers, teacher candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Wilderness First Aid or experience leading backcountry trips an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Supervised by Camp Director
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Contract, Full-time mid-June to September 4, 2020
Range $15.55 - $18.95
How to Apply:
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Camp Specialist, Inclusion Program” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.