Toronto: Associate Manager, Evergreen Garden Market
Application Deadline: February 21,2019
Start date/term of position: Contract- 18 months
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
The Associate Manager is responsible for delivering an outstanding retail experience commiserate with Evergreen Garden Market exacting standards. They influence the Customer Experience through staff training and management, retail systems optimization, and programming delivery. The Associate Manager oversees the Inventory Lifecycle Management, a curate offering of products that adheres to Evergreen’s mission of sustainability throughout its entire retail journey. They lead the daily operations on the shop floor, providing customers with an experience that is deep and enriching while ensuring financial profitability.
- Floor Oversight - Oversee all staff performing duties on the shop floor including Sales Associates, Buyers, and Programmers as well as volunteers to ensure that they are providing the best customer experience, following inventory procedures, adhering to volunteer engagement guidelines and health and safety practices. They provide essential authority with customers who have special requests or challenges.
- Staff training and management – Assist to build and manage a team of staff and volunteers.
- Inventory Lifecycle Management - Supervise Buyers and other staff through the inventory lifecycle process including research, purchasing, product usage and evaluation.
- Retail systems – Oversee Point of Sale systems and cash handling to ensure speedy and accurate utilization by the staff.
- In-store Experience – Oversee maintaining the store according to Health and Safety requirements as well as crafting and implementing seasonally appropriate store merchandising.
- Programming - Oversee the development, promotion, and delivery of workshops. Expand added-value sales opportunities.
- Assets procurement and management - Supervise and manage other asset needs for retail operations. These include infrastructure improvements, sales support items, IT and other non-stockable items.
- Volunteer experience - Oversee and develop the volunteer experience within the social enterprise environment.
- Emergency response – Take on a leadership role directing Evergreen Garden Market staff during emergency situation that impact the site as well as coordinating that response with other Evergreen staff.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve.
- Managing up (i.e., manage manager). Clarify performance expectations, keep manager abreast of activities, seek guidance from manager when necessary, communicate needs for job performance / satisfaction (e.g., need for information, development, etc.), open to feedback
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Senior Manager, Retail and Commercial Operations
- Supervises: Retail Associates, Buyers, Volunteer and Programming Coordinator
- Landscape program or equivalent experience
- Certified Retail Horticulturist or equivalent experience
- Specialized training, knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Driver’s license
- Cash handling
- 3-5 years retail management experience
- Sound horticultural background including native plant knowledge
- Strong leadership, training skills, business, customer service skills
- Demonstrated success building and managing a team/teams of people
- Evergreen Garden Market
- Working outdoors in extreme summer and winter weather
- Physically demanding
- Cash handling
- Working with vulnerable populations (e.g. minors and people with special needs)
- Working hours:
- Shift work
- At least one weekend day per week minimum
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
- Doing repetitive tasks with few breaks
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.Please Reference “Associate Manager- EGM” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.