Toronto: Assistant Camp Director
Application Deadline: February 25, 2019
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
The Assistant Camp Director will assist and support the Camp Director with the coordination and supervision of Evergreen Adventure Camp and Bike Ventures Camp. The Assistant Camp Director will be responsible for camp administration, direct supervision of after-camp programs and recruitment and support of volunteers.
We highly encourage applicants to be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment, full-time post-secondary students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Youth Work Experience Program.
- Assists in the planning, delivery and monitoring of all Evergreen Adventure camp programs
- Recruits, screens and supports volunteers
- Creates and facilitates weekly debrief and skill building sessions with volunteers
- Manages camp administration, including camper and volunteer documents
- Assists in communications with camper families and program partners
- Assists with training and supervision of camp staff
- Manages the staff and program execution of the inclusion program
- Manages the execution and development of extended care program
- Acts as a positive role model and leader
- Assumes responsibilities of Camp Counsellors and Camp Director as required
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change
- Supervised by: Camp Director
- Supervises: Volunteers, Camp Counsellors
- 2-3 years of previous work/volunteer experience in a camp or childcare setting
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check
- Experience using CampBrian database an asset
- Knowledge of OCA standards an asset
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, organization and supervisory skills
- Experience with Outdoor Experiential Education, Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices
- Background in Ecology, Environmental Studies or related disciplines
- Those who have experience in and demonstrate a commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and youth
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
Hours of Work:
- Part Time (8-16 hours/week February-June)
- 1 week full time for March Break (March 11-15)
- Full time 12 weeks – Monday to Friday from June 17-Sept 6
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Assistant Camp Director" in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.