Toronto: Animator, Exhibits Program
Application Deadline: September 2, 2019
Start date/term of position: Part Time Hourly
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
The Exhibit Animator will be responsible for the delivery of public engagement activities related to the Exhibit Program, engaging a wide range of audiences that include people of all ages and their families, at varying levels of knowledge and experience.
They will welcome visitors into the space, answer questions, help facilitate engagement with the exhibits, and ensure they have a great visitor experience. Exhibit animators will be responsible for recording insights from visitors, volunteers and partners at the end of each programing day that will feed into the design of future activities.
- Deliver engaging place-based hands on public programs for a diverse range of visitors on site.
- Work with the team to facilitate weekly programming activities
- Coordinate, as necessary, with the events and facilities team on the ground to ensure smooth and safe experience for visitors.
- Oversee and ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen and City policies, procedures and training;
- Responsible for set up, take down and proper storage of the project materials and infrastructure.
- Ensure all elements of the exhibits are active when open to the public, and consult with supervisor and other members of Evergreen team to troubleshoot.
- Provide direction, feedback and supervision for exhibit volunteers;
- Lead and document daily experience debriefs;
- Support with project evaluation and documentation;
- Assist with special events, including community consultations, workshops and staff trainings; and
- Acts as an ambassador for Evergreen to participants and volunteers.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Supervised by: Exhibit Project Coordinator
- Supervises: Exhibit Volunteers
- Ability to engage diverse members of the public, particularly children and youth, in educational and/or recreational activities.
- Some experience (work, volunteer, school) in public engagement, managing volunteers, and/or activations is required.
- Interest in, and commitment to, accessible engagement.
- Interested in urban issues with a focus on meaningful participation by residents of all ages.
- Primarily indoors at Evergreen Brick Works, in a public space
- Available to work a flexible schedule, at least one weekend day per week, with occasional other program days/evenings; shifts of 6-7 hours usually, plus program preparation time.
- Part-time hourly contract.
- Police record check required.
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Some lifting (up to 20 pounds)
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Animator, Exhibits Program” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.