HSBC–Evergreen Youth Action Series
From coast to coast, Evergreen and our program partners engage and support young people to take action in their communities during this event series in May each year.
For eight consecutive years, the Youth Action Series has engaged youth across Canada in hands-on workshops and stewardship activities, connecting with nature in the city where they live. In 2016, 240 youth in Montreal, Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver engaged in projects on ecology, green living, stewardship and green infrastructure, all while networking with fellow young stewards of the environment.
In 2017 the Youth Action Series is happening in Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver. Registration is now open for the Toronto event (see details below). Sign-up for our newsletter to get involved.
HSBC-Evergreen Youth Action Series 2017:
On May 30th, 2017, Evergreen will be partnering with the Ann and Sandy Cross Conservation Area to welcome a group of students with neurodiversity from a high school in Calgary. Students will learn about the ecology of the park and the various wildlife and plants that call it home during an interpretive nature walk before building and installing duck nesting boxes.
On May 19th, 2017, Evergreen will be partnering with Terra Child Care Centre and Braemar High School for Pregnant and Parenting Teens to connect young parents and toddlers with nature through vegetable gardening.
On May 25th, 2017, Evergreen will be working in partnership with the Toronto Youth Environment Council to welcome high school students to participate in youth-led hands-on workshops focused on taking action to create a sustainable future. At this year’s event, youth will participate in:
- Hands-on placemaking and environmental themed workshops
- Integrated tours of Evergreen Brick Works including an exploration of: the area’s rich industrial history; the re-development of the site into a LEED Platinum building and social enterprise; and Evergreen’s visions for the future of our cities
- Eco-activity fair to inspire youth in taking action towards a sustainable future
- Delicious locally-sourced lunch and shuttle bus service from Broadview subway station are included!
For more information about the HSBC Youth Action Series 2017 in Toronto, please contact Michelle Kula at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On May 23rd, 2017, students from local high schools will take action in their city by creating interactive projects to engage the public. The theme of this year’s event will be Placemaking, transforming public spaces to better serve whole communities. This year’s event takes place at the Pipe Shop in the Shipyards of North Vancouver. At this year’s event, youth will:
- Learn about and contribute to placemaking in North Vancouver
- Create and deliver urban intervention projects in their community
- Engage with the public to inspire conversations around public spaces
- Lunch and refreshments provided by HAVE Catering Social Enterprise
For more information about the HSBC Youth Action Series event in Vancouver, please contact Julia Gellman at email@example.com
On May 23rd, 2017, Evergreen will be partnering with Santropol Roulant to welcome youth to take part in hands-on food gardening activities in urban and peri-urban contexts.
For more information about the HSBC–Evergreen Youth Action Series, please contact Leah Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org.