What’s On at the Saturday Farmers Market in August
They may sound like they like to hide from the heat, but nightshades love the summer sun!
Published on July 28, 2020
While the summer heat has us finding solace under the shade of a big tree, the bright and colourful nightshades are out in the fields soaking up the sunshine. Nightshades are a family of over 3,000 species of flowering plants, many of which bear fruit that we eat. They come in all shapes and sizes - tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, eggplants, tomatillos, ground cherries, potatoes, and even tobacco all belong to the nightshade family.
These plants love the heat in the peak of summer and are ready to harvest towards the end of July and beginning of August.
Here are a handful of our vendors who are sure to have a selection of nightshades to add to your dinner plate. Our new modified farmers’ market model strongly encourages ordering online in advance. Visit their online stores so you’re ready for market day!
+ many more!
Recipe: Quick Baked Japanese Eggplant
4 Japanese eggplant
- 3 tablespoon prepared Asian Black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- Sriracha if desired for more heat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and trim the tops off the eggplants.
- Slice the flesh of the eggplants lengthwise and widthwise. Be careful not to cut the eggplant all the way through! Just enough to open up the flesh a bit so it can soak up extra saucy goodness.
- Nestle eggplants flesh side up in a Pyrex dish or sheet pan.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients into a sauce and spread evenly on the eggplant.
- Pop in the oven for about 30 minutes, optional to broil for a few minutes to crisp up.
- Serve with rice or rice noodles, crispy tofu or chicken and sautéed summer greens or broccoli with garlic and soy sauce.
- Enjoy the summer harvest!