Leveraging Ontario’s Urban Potential: Mid-Sized Cities Research Series
Evergreen’s Mid-Sized Cities Research Collaborative is releasing its first report delving into important areas of policy solutions for MSC leaders.
Published on May 12, 2017
The Mid-Sized Cities Research Collaborative aims to fill an important research gap by putting forward resources and evidence to support decision-makers and city-builders at municipal, provincial and federal levels of leadership.
Leveraging Ontario’s Urban Potential: Mid-Sized Cities Research Series presents an inter-disciplinary perspective by young and established scholars on themes specific to a mid-sized urban scale.
The discussion pieces released as part of Leveraging Ontario’s Urban Potential: Mid-Sized Cities Research Series provide a look at some of the key issues in mid-sized cities by offering a snapshot of academic research underway across the province. We shape a research agenda that builds on existing research work and reflects the needs, interests and gaps of MSC practitioners.
Public Finance & Governance
- A Mid-Sized, Medium Growth City in Transition: Governance, Policy, and Planning in London Ontario - Neil Bradford(PDF, 915KB)
- Property Tax Differentiation Based on the Shapley Values: Correcting Inefficiencies and Inequities - David Robinson (PDF, 677KB)
- Communities in Transition: Planning for No-Growth, Slow Growth or Decline - Mark Seasons & Joshua Warkentin(PDF, 1.4MB)
- Public Finance and City Typology: A Case-Study of Ontario’s Mid-Sized Cities - Austin Zwick (PDF, 545KB)
Transportation and Land Use
- Suburban Growth and Downtown Decline in Ontario’s Mid-Sized Cities - David Gordon(PDF, 1.3MB)
- Re-orienting Mid-Sized City Downtowns for Pedestrians - Neluka Leanage & Pierre Filion(PDF, 2.4MB)
Housing and Social Infrastructure
- Aging and Age-Friendly Policy in Ontario’s Mid-Sized Cities - Maxwell Hartt & Samantha Biglieri(PDF, 685KB)
- The Case for Indigenizing Mid-Sized Cities - Richard Ouellet(PDF, 658KB)
- Overcoming the Middle-Child Syndrome: Immigrant Attraction and Retention in Mid-Sized Municipalities - Luisa Sotomayor & Austin Zwick(PDF, 842KB)
- Planning for Climate Change in Mid-Sized Ontario Cities - Stephen Hill & Margo Perun(PDF, 739KB)
- Green Spaces: Forgotten Areas with High Potential - Liette Vasseur (PDF, 1.0MB)
- Coworking Spaces in Mid-Sized Cities: An Innovative Approach to Local Economic Development - Audrey Jamal(PDF, 1.2MB)
- Economic Development Strategies for Mid-Sized Cities in the Global Knowledge Economy - Gregory M. Spencer(PDF, 908KB)
- Economic Specialization in Ontario’s Mid-Sized Cities: Clusters and Anchor Institutions - Austin Zwick(PDF, 405KB)